How Does the Energy Bills Discount Scheme Impact Energy and Trade Intensive Industries?
For businesses that operate within Energy Trade Intensive Industries, the discounts are different. This includes businesses in the manufacturing and mining industries. Here’s a breakdown of how it works for these types of businesses:
- Electricity: The threshold is 18.5p per kWh. You get an 8.9p discount on the difference between the threshold and the unit rate you pay to your electricity supplier.
- Gas: The threshold is 9.9p per kWh. You get a 4.0p discount on the difference between the threshold and the unit rate that you pay to your energy supplier.
One thing to bear in mind is that these discounts only apply to 70% of your business’s energy volumes. For the remaining 30%, you’ll pay the full rates.
The majority of businesses don’t need to apply for these discounts. The discounts are automatically applied by energy suppliers for businesses that are eligible. However, if your business is classed as being in the Energy Trade Intensive Industries, you will need to apply.
If you think your large business is paying too much for its energy, then you should compare large business energy rates. You’ll be able to compare the best deals on the market and reduce the amount that goes out of your bank account each month.