Should I Get a Smart Meter?
One of the main benefits of installing a smart meter is that it removes the need for taking manual meter readings.
If you use a traditional meter and you forget to submit your monthly readings, your energy supplier will make an estimate of your usage, based on your past bills. These estimates can be incorrect leading you to pay more than what you should.
Smart meters help avoid estimate inaccuracies and ensure that you pay only for the energy you used.
These meters also help you keep track of your gas and electricity usage as your usage is displayed on their screen. Being more aware of the amount of energy you consume can help reduce your overall energy use.
If you’re still sure you should get a business smart meter, consider the advantages and disadvantages of having a smart meter installed:
Advantages of a business smart meter
- No manual meter readings and estimated bills
- Accurate energy bills
- Easily track your energy consumption
- Encourages energy saving and helps reduce your business’s carbon footprint
- Gives businesses access to cheaper energy tariffs
- Makes the process of switching energy suppliers easier
Disadvantages of a business smart meter
- Smart meters use a mobile signal (can cause issues in an area with patchy mobile reception)
- There’s no guarantee your business will pay lower energy bills if you do not reduce energy consumption
- It can lead to excessive monitoring
- If you switch to another supplier, you may have to migrate back to a standard meter.